Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Road to AdeptiCon 2015 - Part 1(b) - Bases

As I posted on Monday I successfully survived AdeptiCon... well the registration portion - which is no mean feat unto itself!
Now, with a mere 113 days until the event (112 until I fly), it is time to get on with the project.

A couple of years ago a group of us were going to play in the team event. It was the first year after the Forgeworld Heresy books had been announced, so we decided to go with a 40k 30K-Heresy theme.
Unfortunately one of the team fell ill quite early on in the process, so it was dropped.

I still have all the models, so for 2015 I'll be completing the army. And by completing I mean starting!

For the event one of the guys sculpted and cast vast quantities of Istvaan themed bases for us.


So today's update is base prep.


Stage one - wash! I use Simple Green (which is a good degreaser). I can't stress this enough - wash your models. This is especially true for resin models which have a demolding compound on them from casting. It also applies to metal models which often have a powder releasing agent, as well as plastic sprues which may have oil from the steel/aluminium dies.

The number of times that I read about bad primer reactions, or paints flaking off later on is astonishing. This simple step can dramatically help reduce the fail rate of primer/paint adhesion.

The other one is using the right (and an actual) primer. But that is for next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment