It has been a week since my last post, but I've not been slacking on the painting part..
After letting the model sit for the night I went back and beat up the top layer some more. I felt it was lacking damage - lol!
I also went into the larger areas and added some more SWM rust:
Then the fun began!
After a coating with gloss varnish (allowed to dry overnight), I started with oils.
Black, blue and brown oil paint was added in small dots, and then streaked down the model. This adds depth and tone to the overly bright metallic finish. It is a very messy process, but it is the one stage I enjoy the most.
Once that had dried, the next stage was adding pigments to simulate rust build up. I used the SWM powders of course! Four rust powders, and the Violet powder were used.
The violet is quite important as it add a certain patina to the finished result.
This process is very experimental and you need to play with the powders as you go along.
I also used the Exhaust Black on the exhausts (...).
Final stage was to seal with a matte varnish.
This picture has the body complete; the tracks need some highlighting, and the wheels (which I'll comment on next time) are in progress. You'll also note I added a dozer blade.
Speed Freeks Available To Order From Games Workshop
50 minutes ago